Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Bunch of Turkeys

Hey Guys and Gals!

Well, first things first, I've got to give mad props to bloggers who blog over holidays. Every time I would think to step away to write, another piece of pumpkin pie or my niece would call my name and it was over.

With that said, I'm back and I have more blogging fodder than ever so sit back, put your feet up (not advised if you are at work) and read on.

So Steph's holidays began in the coolest way ever -- watching my 3 year old niece for the day while my bro and sis went to look for houses (YES, they are moving to DALLAS! Par-tay!) This was my first time to watch Ausley EVER (was a little difficult to babysit her from NY) and in short, I was ecstatic about the whole thing. It took three days of prep to get ready for the little princess, but it was all well worth it! We began with what was meant to be 'Arts and Crafts Hour' which quickly turned into 'Arts and Crafts 15 Minutes' before we were interested in something else. No sweat, Miss Ausley, Aunt Steph will finish your ornament and Turkey Hats while you watch the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. 45 Minutes later and we have 1 ornament and 13 Turkey Hats/Indian Headresses which will be used in the future for family blackmail as needed. See below for imagery.





Even little Anna wasn't safe. Yep, we're all a bunch of turkeys in the Albert Household!

Next point of interest for Miss A? Presents. Ausley had gotten wind that Aunt Steph might have a present for her hidden somewhere in the house. And when a 3 year old as cute as she is asks you point blank where her presents are, you have no choice but to concede. And what did Aunt Steph get the little rugrat? A box of PRINCESS CLOTHES! And boy were we EXCITED! We modeled in front of Aunt Steph's mirror for a good 15 minutes.






She's sportin' those plastic shoes like they're Louboutins! Get it girl!

So with all this good, clean, fun stuff, comes a minor setback which came with lots of lessons for these first time home owners. When we arrived back to Dallas on Saturday night, we pulled into the driveway and I could tell that our closet light was on. Of course, I immediately start asking Tom why he left the closet light on, to which he responds he didn't. Well, knowing that lights don't just turn themselves on, I brace myself for what we are about to find (or not find) in our new home. BOO for getting robbed. And double BOO for getting robbed over the holidays. I swear, there are some pretty deadbeat people out there. And gross ones too. Who goes piece by piece through underwear drawers? The sickos that robbed our house, that's who. They made off with all my grandmother and mother's jewelry that they had given me, a computer, some purses and a money clip that Tom received as a gift. So after two nights of not being able to sleep in the house Steph decided to turn the house into what Tom has dubbed, Fort Knox. I went to our new favorite store (Lowe's) and said hi to Sheila (my new friend at Lowe's) and bought anything and everything that would make a sister feel safe in her own home again. Mace? Done. Deadbolts for all doors? Done. Timers for the lights? Done. A baseball bat? Done. Security cameras? Done. An Alarm? Done. Don't you even try to mess with this family again. I will hunt you down and spray you with hornets nest repellent.So this week I have been trying to get comfortable in my own home again which is so annoying, but so true. I had just gotten to the point where I felt comfortable and then this happened and I'm starting the comfort process over again. At least the cops are now my good friends - shout out to Joann and Lee of DPD for being so great to work with and for putting our house on the nightly watch!

Holy Cow! I almost forgot to share with you the thing that I know you all have been coming to this blog to see!! My Christmas Wreath!! Sadly, I learned after the wreath was made that my door is an awkward design for hanging wreaths, which is why my gorgeous piece of art now hangs over my kitchen sink so that I can stare at it with pride everyday when I'm doing the dishes. It might not look like much to the naked eye, but this wreath is made of real live cedar (bought from Whole Foods for $11.99) and pine cones (bought from Michaels half off for $1.50). Who spent under $20 on their Christmas wreath? I did!! Tom loves it when I'm under budget! Go me!



Much to Tom's dismay, the job hunt continues -- hey if anyone reading this knows any of the great folks over at Wisteria in Dallas, let me know! And if you don't know Wisteria you should check out their site for some of the coolest decor on the planet...  www.wisteria.com

Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving and that you've eaten all your leftovers.

A few more pics from the weekend that I loved...













Love to all!
xx

1 comment:

  1. The fact that you got EVERYONE, young and old, to wear turkey hats and indian feathers all day long, amazing!

    ReplyDelete